Founded in 2018 on a fundamental commitment to human rights, HuMENA for Human Rights and Civic Engagement seeks to achieve a greater resident and non-resident MENA citizens engagement in the policymaking. HuMENA is an independent advocacy and action organization that challenges MENA to live up to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Law.
We believe that the mind sets of decision-makers on the value of engagement need to change, and the citizens participation in policymaking is essential to human rights protection and democracy, so we press the MENA governments, public institutions, and private companies to respect human rights and adopt a human rights-based approach through working on inducing change in power dynamics, strengthening accountability, promoting non-discrimination, and encouraging partnerships among NGOs in the region.
We know it is not enough to expose violations and protest injustice, so we work on creating the enabling environment for citizens engagement and activism, and we design policy solutions necessary to ensure consistent respect for human rights. Whether we are protecting freedom of expression, combating governments attacks on civic space, re-engaging marginalized MENA diaspora activists, and defending the right to freedom of peaceful assembly, we focus not on making a point, but on making a change.
HuMENA for Human Rights and Civic Engagement a non-profit, nonpartisan international human rights organization registered and based in Brussels, with offices in MENA region.
Our Engagement Strategy
To achieve its goals, HuMENA adopts the following citizens engagement strategy:
· Knowledge production: disclosing pro-actively information about laws and policies that directly affect our civil rights and freedom to expression, in line with good international standards.
· Dialogue: engaging in dialogue with citizens and civil society in the region about strategic issues and relevant policies.
· Evidence-based policy advocacy: engaging with citizens in a deliberate process of actions, based on demonstrated evidence, aiming to create, implement or change policies, laws, regulations or standards for the good of a larger group of people in MENA.
· Consultations: conducting formal consultations with citizens and civil society in relation to major institutional strategic issues, projects and policies.
· Co-operation and partnerships: pro-actively co-operating, raising awareness and transferring knowledge to local community groups (including informal groups of citizens) and civil society.
Our Core Values
· Commitment to human rights
· Accountability and Transparency
· Gender equality
· Diversity and inclusion
· Respect for others
· Networking and partnerships
· Performance and team working
· Peace culture and pluralism
Sarah Sheikh Ali
Senior Programs Director
Mohammad Ali Maghabat
Development and Outreach
Board of Trustees
Chairman of the Board of Trustees